Most homes are installing decking for their homes, to increase the outdoor space available for relaxing. One of the main considerations while installing decking is choosing the right decking material. Though traditionally wooden decking was used in properties with advances in manufacturing technology more people are using other decks like vinyl deck and composite deck. The market shares of vinyl and composite decks have increased to approximately 40% according to some experts. So property owners would like to find out which is better so that they can take a decision accordingly. There are advantages and disadvantages of each type of deck, so depending on the exact requirement of the property owner, he can choose either deck material
A vinyl deck is made from polyvinyl chloride( PVC ), abbreviated as vinyl one of the most widely used plastic compounds. The vinyl has been used for making various building products like pipes, windows, and doors. Like other plastic products, it is waterproof, does not rot when exposed to rainfall for longer periods of time. It is available in different colors, to match the design of the home.
- Is waterproof and will not rot when exposed to rain or water
- Requires less maintenance compared to wood or composite decks, no staining or repairs for cracks or rot
- Will not be attacked by termites and other insects since they do not eat plastic
- The deck is very durable, will last for thirty years, if properly maintained.
- Available in a wide range of colors
- Good quality vinyl decking will not fade if suitable additives are used
- Very expensive compared to composite or custom wooden decking
- Becomes very hot at higher temperatures and will expand or contract depending on the temperature affecting the fasteners
- Does not look like natural decking
- More effort is required for the installation of the decking
- Once installed, the shape cannot be changed
A composite deck is manufactured from a combination of plastic and wood, which may be recycled. The composite material combines the properties of wood and plastic. One of the main advantages is that the material looks similar to wood to give the deck a natural look, though it requires less maintenance.
- Requires less maintenance compared to a wooden deck
- Will not rot easily, especially if the wood is not exposed
- Similar to wood in appearance providing a natural look that is less likely to be damaged by termites and other similar insects
- An extremely durable deck that will last for up to fifty years under normal conditions depending on the quality of the material selected
- More affordable than vinyl decking, the shape can be changed if required.
- May rot, develop mold, mildew if the wood particles are exposed to moisture
- Termites may attack the wooden particles used if they are exposed.
- More expensive than a wooden deck